So… you are eating right, working out, getting proper sleep, and overall living a healthy, happy life. In your mind, there is no possible explanation for why you can’t lose that stubborn body fat. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to burn fat from your problem areas. If you can honestly say that you have a workout routine that includes both ample cardio and resistance training, and maintain a healthy diet, maybe it’s time you consider giving whey protein a try.
Whey protein is derived from milk protein which is the liquid by-product of cheese. There are three types of whey protein typically available to purchase. Whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolates, and whey protein hydrolysates. Of the three, whey protein isolate powder is the most highly recommended, due to its high protein content and low cholesterol, lactose, and fat.
Why should you take whey protein to burn fat?
1. Leucine is nutrient that has a major role in the synthesis of protein, a chemical reaction in your body that burns massive amounts of calories. Leucine also activates the oxidation of fatty acids. Lucky for you, whey protein is chock full of leucine.
2. Drink your hunger pangs away. No, not like you did in college….Drinking a whey protein shake will create a sense of fullness that lasts for several hours. Studies have demonstrated that whey may create a feeling of fullness better than other types of protein. Dairy proteins contain glycomacropetide, a peptide that is responsible for activating cholecystokinin (CCK) in your body. CCK is a hormone found in your intestines that is released into your blood stream following a meal. It signals satiety to your brain.
3. Studies demonstrate whey protein aids in a reduction of body fat. There are multiple studies that witnessed a reduction in body fat among participants supplementing with a whey protein shake. In one study, University of Oklahoma researchers instructed both groups of subjects not to alter their diet. Group 1 was given a whey protein supplement once a day for two weeks, then twice a day for the final eight weeks of the study. Both groups engaged in a supervised strength and cardio program for 2 months.
After the study was up, both groups realized a loss of body fat. Interestingly however, the group taking the whey protein shake in conjunction with exercise realized more than twice the body fat loss than the exercise only group (9.3% vs. 4.6%). The whey + exercise group also realized greater gains in muscle mass and larger decreases in total cholesterol.
Another study in 2006 demonstrated that adding just 60 grams of whey protein, as opposed to 60 grams of soy protein or 60 grams of carbohydrates to your diet each day led to a measurable decrease in body fat and body weight over a 6 month period.
If you are doing all that you can to burn fat and are still running into trouble, try talking with a registered dietitian (RD) or of course, your doctor. Share It Fitness has a very knowledgable and dedicated nutrition scientist on staff to help you with all your weight loss and dietary needs.
Latest posts by Matt (see all)
- The Countdown Workout: 4, 3, 2, 1 to FAT LOSS! - December 6, 2013
- “I Feel Fat”: 10 Ways to Eliminate this Thought from Your Life Forever - December 2, 2013
- Super INTENSE 10 Minute Finisher Workouts for Anyone Short on TIme - November 27, 2013