Have you ever looked at the back of a ketchup, mustard, or mayonnaise bottle and wondered what the heck is in there? Aside from huge amounts of sugar and salt, there are tons of unpronounceable preservatives and chemicals. Do you really want these going into your body? No way. Aside from making you fat (sugar) who really knows what these chemicals are doing to your insides. It’s easy, healthy, and tasty to make your own from scratch. Follow these simple recipes.
Provides 2 cups
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 28 ounces of fresh tomatoes. Canned is fine if you cannot get fresh. Puree in a blender and strain to remove seeds
- 1 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Heat oil in large pan over medium-high heat. Saute onion and garlic for 7 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and combine well. Bring to a simmer and leave uncovered for 1 hour, with an occasional stir. Remove from heat after 1 hour and blend until smooth. Store in airtight container for up to two weeks.
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown mustard seeds
- 1/3 cup drinking-quality white wine
- 1 shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- Pinch ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
In a non-reactive bowl, combine all ingredients and refrigerate overnight, covered.
Transfer the mustard mixture to a blender and process until mustard has obtained the desired texture and thickness; it is equally delicious whether you leave it chunky or smooth. Store in an airtight, non-reactive container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Mustard recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse
Lemon Tartar Sauce
Provides 3/4 cup
- 1/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 dill pickle, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon zest
- 5 drops hot sauce (or to taste)
Combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Store for up to three days.
Latest posts by Matt (see all)
- The 10 Best Fitness and Nutrition Blogs You Should be Reading - May 22, 2013
- The Summer Slim Down Workout Part 2 - May 21, 2013
- Video – Afterburner Ab Workout - May 14, 2013