You’ve made it to the home stretch. If you’re reading this, hopefully you’ve made it through the first two parts of this Total Body Blitz workout without too many troubles. Hope you’re ready for a serious challenge because we’re about to close things out with a bang. Part III incorporates a healthy mix of compound lifts interspersed with bouts of high-intensity cardio. This format departs from the standard weightlifting one day, cardio the next, that made up parts I and II. We’ll still separate things here and there to give you a break, but for the most part, be ready to do your weightlifting and cardio in one intense workout.
We’ve successfully mixed things up over the past 2 months to keep your body guessing what’s coming next. If you’ve been maintaining a good diet, you should have easily dropped significant body fat, as well as added muscle to your frame. Part III really maximizes your fat burning potential, both during AND after the workout. You probably have a good idea about how we’ll zap calories DURING the workout, but have you considered this type of workout can help you maximize caloric burn AFTER your workout? Meet EPOC (Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption). EPOC is your new best friend. It represents how many additional calories your body burns after your workout has ended.
Your body wants to return to its pre-exercise state as soon as a period of exercise end. After a boring, 30 minute jog, or simple weight lifting session, returning to this state isn’t very hard. After completing a workout that combines the right intensity and exercises, your body is going to struggle to return to its pre-exericse state. This is a good thing. EPOC means, your body is using more energy, and burning more calories, as it tries to adjust itself to your resting state. To maximize EPOC, and the calories you burn throughout the day, you will want to focus on lifting heavy weights (this elevates heart rate, which is great for increasing EPOC), limiting rest periods (I’ll let you know when to rest and for how long), and doing short but intense bursts of cardio.
If all of this sounds confusing, relax. Part III of this workout plan is very easy to plan and everything is laid out for you. Just follow along with the exercises and rest times, and you’ll be fine. So what those nuggets of knowledge safely tucked away in your brain…on to the workout…
Tips: Whenever you you see a combo with a slash (/) between exercises like this: 3 x 8 lat pulldowns/ 3 x 12 burpees/45 second rest… you will want to do 1 set of 8 lat pulldowns, immediately followed by 1 set of 12 burpees, followed by 45 seconds rest. You will then repeat for the additional two sets in the combo. Make sure to use heavy weight so the 8th repetition is very difficult on sets 1 and 2, and near impossible on set 3.
- 3 x 8 Lat pulldowns/3 x 12 burpees/45 second rest
- 4 x 10 reverse pushups/4 x 20 mountain climbers/30 second rest
- 3 x 8 barbell curls/3 x 15 side squat jumps (squat, jump as far as you can to one side, repeat)/45 seconds rest
- 4 x 8 bentover barbell rows/4 x 30 twist jumps (squat, jump and do a 180 degree twist, repeat)/45 second rest
- 3 x 10 close grip rows/3 x 20 box jumps/30 second rest
- 3 x 25 crunches, 3 x 25 bicycle crunches, 3 x 25 dumbbell crunches (hold dumbbell over head with straight arms and crunch up).
- 3 x 10 bench press/3 x 30 flutter kicks/45 second rest
- 4 x 8 barbell skullcrushers/4 x 50 jumping jacks/30 second rest
- 3 x 10 dumbbell military press/3 x 30 med ball woodchoppers (15 to each side)/45 second rest
- 4 x 15 bench dips/4 x 15 dumbbell bench step ups/30 second rest
- 3 x 10 barbell clean and press/3 x 10 burpees/60 seconds rest
- 4 x 10 incline bench press/4 x 30 mountain climbers/45 second rest
- 3 x 10 barbell or smith machine squats/3 x 45 second jump rope/45 second rest
- 4 x 10 deadlifts/4 x 20 horizontal jacks (In plank position, jump your feet off the ground and spread feet wide, jump feet off the body and bring your feet together so you’ve returned to plank position, repeat)/60 second rest
- 3 x 10 dumbbell lunges/3 x 25 lunge jumps (lunge, jump up, and switch legs in mid-air and land on other foot forward)/45 second rest
- 4 x 10 reverse dumbbell lunges/4 x 45 second jump rope/45 second rest
- 3 x 12 box or bench jumps/30 second jump rope/3 x 20 mountain climbers/30 second plank/60 second rest
- 30 minutes HIIT (:30/1:30)cycling, 30 minutes (:30/1:30) HIIT running, 15 minutes (jump :40/rest :40) HIIT jump rope
- 3 x 10 dumbbell bench press/3 x 30 flutter kicks/45 second rest.
- 3 x 8 barbell skullcrushers/3 x 50 jumping jacks/30 second rest.
- 4 x 10 barbell upright row/4 x 30 med ball woodchoppers (15 to each side)/45 second rest
- 3 x 10 overhead dumbbell tricep press/3 x 15 dumbbell bench step ups/30 second rest
- 4 x 10 barbell clean and press/4 x 10 burpees/60 second rest
- 3 x 10 incline dumbbell flys/3 x 35 mountain climbers/45 second rest
- 4 x 10 close grip lat pulldowns/4 x 45 seconds jump rope/45 second rest
- 3 x 8 wide grip rows/3 x 100 light toe taps (lightly tap tip of foot on a low object, switch foot mid-air, use fast feet)/30 second rest
- 3 x 10 cable rope curls/3 x 12 burpees/45 second rest
- 4 x 10 T-bar rows/4 x 30 side jumps (lay bar down, jump back and forth over bar)/45 second rest
- 3 x 10 single arm dumbbell rows/3 x 50 speed skaters/45 second rest
- 3 x 30 dumbbell crunches, 3 x 30 scissor kicks, 3 x 1 minute planks.
- 4 x 45 second jump rope/4 x 8 burpees/4 x 20 mountain climbers/4 x 30 second plank/75 second rest
- 3 x 10 bench press/3 x 25 box jumps/45 second rest
- 3 x 10 incline dumbbell bench press/3 x 20 dumbbell bench step ups/45 second rest
- 4 x 10 close grip bench press/4 x 50 jumping jacks/45 second rest
- 3 x 10 lateral raise/3 x 10 knee tuck jumps/45 second rest
- 3 x 10 tricep rope pushdowns/3 x 10 front raise/30 second rest
- 4 x 10 squats/4 x 20 box jumps/rest 60 seconds
- 3 x 10 deadlifts/3 x 20 lateral bench hops (keep one foot on bench, hop side to side with foot on ground. switch at 10)/rest 60 seconds
- 3 x 10 quad extensions/3 x 10 hamstring curls/3 x 25 bodyweight squats
- 3 x 10 bulgarian squat/3 x 10 reverse dumbbell side squats (step at a 45 degree angle instead of directly behind you)/30 second rest
- 3 x 20 knee tuck jumps/3 x 10 burpees/45 second rest
- 5 x 1 minute jump rope/5 x 30 second plank/5 x 25 bicycle crunches/75 second rest
- 20 Trifecta’s (Kick your legs out and drop down as if you are doing a burpee, do a pushup, pop yourself up, jump up and do a pull up. If you can’t do a pull up do a hanging pull up, then repeat.) Perform all 20 as quickly as possible.
- 2 x 25 box jumps/ 2 x 25 jumping jacks/2 x 25 mountain climbers/2 x 25 crunches/rest 60 seconds
- 15 minute HIIT cycling (20 second sprint/40 second relaxed pace)
- 15 minute HIIT sprinting (:20 sprint/:40 jog)
- 3 x 10 lat pull downs/1 minute side planks (per side)/3 x 10 hammer curls/ 45 second rest
- 3 x 10 reverse plate curls/3 x 10 bent over plate rows/3 x 40 mountain climbers/ 45 second rest
- 3 x 10 lat pushdown/3 x 40 twist jumps/45 second rest
- 4 x 10 wide grip curls/4 x 12 dumbbell shrugs/4 x 20 tuck jumps/60 second rest
- 3 x 10 close grip rows/3 x 10 lying dumbbell curls/3 x 30 box or bench jumps/rest 60 seconds
- 100 crunches/100 bicycle crunches/100 hanging knee raises (perform all 100 reps for each exercise before moving on. Complete as quickly as possible).
Latest posts by Matt (see all)
- The 10 Best Fitness and Nutrition Blogs You Should be Reading - May 22, 2013
- The Summer Slim Down Workout Part 2 - May 21, 2013
- Video – Afterburner Ab Workout - May 14, 2013