As a yogi newbie, I’m slowly but surely falling in love with the Boston yoga scene. I’ve tried everything from hot yoga to Vinyasa, Bikram to PranaVayu. I’ve ventured to outdoor yoga in the grassy park, and got my Downward Dog on in studios heated to over 100 degrees. But through all my trials and tribulations, I have yet to fall in love with one type of yoga: yoga before the sun comes out. That is, until this morning.
You see, I consider myself pretty active, and I’m definitely a “morning person” but something about jumping out of bed before the sun comes out to practice yoga seems daunting. I just love my bed oh so much. While many times in my yogi adventures I’ve set my intention to make it to morning practice, I’ve somehow or another always ended up fighting that grueling alarm clock. Sleep trumps yoga, or so I thought. Even on those days I was able to get myself up, I’ve talked my way out of it because I just didn’t “have time.”
This morning, I decided to bite the bullet and give a.m. yoga another whirl, and boy am I glad I did. Here are 3 little incentives to get out of bed for yoga (and actually make it to the studio.)
1. You will feel better than when you went in: It’s pretty much guaranteed that you’ll leave your yoga class feeling much more bright, cheery and glowing than when you entered. Seriously, have you ever finished a yoga class regretting your decision? Have you ever left feeling cranky, flustered or fatigued? Likely not. And that’s because yoga has that special ability to center our souls and balance our emotions. On the other hand, think of all those times you drove to work stressed out to the max, sluggish and filled with road rage…it’s OK, we’ve all been there.
Plus, if you get one of those magical yoga teachers with killer music and perfect soothing yoga voices (you know the type), all the better. When you’re in need a morning pick-me-up, this alone should be your motivation to crawl out of those comfy covers. Let’s just say, your co-workers will be wondering what got into you, and you’ll be feeling high on life all morning!
2. You’ll Do Something Good for Your Insides (and Out): While most of us think of yoga as a de-stresser or calming exercise, the practice of yoga has been recognized for years due to its many health benefits. From decreasing anxiety and blood pressure to increasing overall posture, immunity and strength, it’s plain to see this age-old exercise does more than just quiet the mind. These simple health benefits alone are enough to get me out of bed before sunrise! Who’s with me?
3. You actually do have the time: I don’t know about you, but whenever I tell myself “I don’t have time,” I know I’m lying to myself…even if just a little bit. In reality, I know I actually do have the time, so in these circumstances I typically try to fight my misconceptions by forcing myself to do something I know is good for me. For instance, if I’m swamped with work and tell myself “I have no time” to take a break, I’ll go for a short walk, take a power nap or sip on some tea. Yoga is a perfect mini vacation for those of you who tell yourself you don’t have the time, especially if you can squeeze it in first thing in the morning. Making the time for yoga not only clears the mind, but it also allows you to get back to work both present and productive! That’s a win win if I do say so myself.
Do you practice yoga? What gets you out of bed to work out?
Latest posts by Rachel (see all)
- 6 Healthy Ways to Start Your Day (On the Right Side of The Bed) - August 6, 2013
- 4 Ways to Cool Your Body Down This Summer - July 18, 2013
- How to Deal with Post-Binge Guilt in 4 Simple Steps - June 27, 2013